, , , , , , , ,

After doing my first marathon at Disneyworld on January 11th, I got sick.  Really, really sick.  I started to feel it happening on the Monday after the marathon.  Then, on the Wednesday after it REALLY hit.  It was awful.  I went to the doctor and they said there was nothing that they could do.

Then I lost my voice and the sickness got worse.  I went BACK to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics…I felt better by the next day.  Thank you antibiotics!

During this time, I thought, wouldn’t it be fun to do another half marathon?  Don’t judge me.  lol

I signed up for the Kaiser Permanente Half Marathon.  I had heard really great things about this race.  It has a great course and it is well organized, so I though why not?  My husband also signed up so we were ready to run!

Well, sort of ready to run.  He got sick too, so we were basically unable to run for a week or two prior to the race.  I think I got a total of two 3 mile runs in between the marathon and the KP Half…I figured that should make for an interesting race.

We woke up at around 5am to head out to SF at around 6.  I woke up with a headache and then it turned into some major nausea.  As we were getting ready, I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it.  I choked down some PB&J and got dressed and in the car.  I still wasn’t sure when we left if I was going to be okay, but then we got to the bridge and I started feeling better thank goodness!

We got into SF around 7-ish and found parking.  We walked about a half a mile to the start line, found the port o potties and then headed to the start.

Walking to the race

Walking to the race

They had a 9 minute mile marker, so I headed toward that and Rob headed a little more towards the front.  After the National Anthem was sung, we were off!  Right on time.

Golden Gate Park


IMG_4603 IMG_4607 IMG_4609 IMG_4610

We ran around the park and then back into the park.  It was a really beautiful morning.  Not too cold and not a whole lot of fog happening.  There is something about Golden Gate Park.  The air is so fresh and clean and the trees are gorgeous.

Park running!

Park running!

We did the first 6 miles in the park and I remember how beautiful the middle of mile 6 was when we headed out of the park to the Great Highway and saw the ocean.  We had a gorgeous view of the waves and beach as we ran along the highway.

They had 7 total water stops on the course, which was awesome.  Around mile 7 I was starting to feel the effects of not training and being sick for 2 and a half weeks.  Getting tired and having troubles breathing.  Then at mile 8, my feet really started hurting.  So I did a little walk/run combo while I finished the race.

Selfie pit stop around mile 8.5

Selfie pit stop around mile 8.5


Once we turned back in the park, we were almost done, passed the two large windmills and ran towards the finish.  I saw Rob on the sidelines cheering me on and I crossed the finish line with a little jump!

Didn't quite catch my jump, but I look really happy to be finishing

Didn’t quite catch my jump, but I look really happy to be finishing

After crossing the finish we got our medals (that also double for magnets) and then headed over to grab our long sleeve t-shirts.  I liked them!  I didn’t know this, but racers did have an option to pre-order a tech-tee as well.  Maybe next year!



We had some water and then decided to walk the 2 miles back to our car from the finish line.  Whew…that was a long walk!  I noticed my feet started to really, really hurt.  I pushed the pain aside since we had quite a walk to go.

IMG_4618 IMG_4621 IMG_4622

Finally back to the car, we headed to Trouble Coffee.  If you ever go there, you MUST get the cinnamon toast…yummy!  Totally hit the spot after the run.

Cinnamon toast!

Cinnamon toast!

Once we got home, I took off my shoe and WHOA…there was a ginormous blood blister on my right big toe.  Holy moly, no wonder my feet hurt so much! I think I need to start using body glide on my feet.  That blister was something else.

On the plus side, I am feeling almost 100% better and will pick up my training runs.  I have a half marathon coming up in March, the Livermore Half Marathon and may sign up for a 10k next weekend.  We’ll see…until then, I’m waiting for daylight savings and being able to run after work outside again!

QOTD:  Have you gotten a gnarly blister during the race?  Did you pop it before you finished or did you suffer through the pain?